To reach every person in Barnsley with the good news of Jesus, in partnership with other local churches.
One and all to live out a Jesus-centred life that
is real, relevant and unique - guided by God's Word, the Bible and inspired by the example of each other.
A church that loves to be together, united in Jesus and his Way, remembering that church is people not buildings.
Statement of Christian Faith
We believe in...
- The one true God who lives eternally in three persons—the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the
- The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God—fully
trustworthy for faith and conduct.
- The dignity of all people, made male and female in God's image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin,
which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
- The incarnation of God’s eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ—born of the virgin Mary; truly divine and truly human, yet without
- The atoning sacrifice of Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us
- The bodily resurrection of Christ, the first fruits of our resurrection; his ascension to the Father, and his reign and
mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
- The justification of sinners solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
- The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our
discipleship and enables our witness.
- The Church, the body of Christ both local and universal, the priesthood of all believers—given life by the Spirit and endowed
with the Spirit's gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
- The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfil the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring
eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.
1) We encourage adult believer’s baptism. We can offer dedication/thanksgiving for
2) We still recognise infant baptism, especially as this is the case for a number of Gateway people who
have not been subsequently baptised as adults.
3) If a committed Christian married couple (or single Christian parent) belonging to Gateway really do
prefer and urge that their child be baptised – then ok.
4) If an adult who is newly converted, but previously baptised as an infant requests baptism based on
his/her own profession of faith – then it could be a renewal of baptismal vows.
5) Lord’s Supper
is for all who love Jesus and obey him or perhaps are seeking him (so Lord’s Supper is presented as an opportunity to believe). This includes children who have some understanding and
faith, especially children of Christian families. But it is the decision of parents whether their children receive or have a prayer of blessing